Wednesday 31 August 2016

August Indie Pattern Update!


Summer is drawing to an end (although it seems to be winding up in style with lots of sunshine here in London which I'm not complaining about!) but I'm not done yet with sewing up the summer outfits! It seems many designers are not done with releasing summer appropriate styles yet either. I'm always so inspired to sew for the warm weather yet have a constant battle between wanting to be at my machine and wanting to be outside making the most of the sunshine. Anyone else struggle with that little dilemma?!


New Pattern Companies


  • Meghann has been selling handmade clothing and bags over at Halfmoon Atelier for a few years now and has just made one of her designs available as a PDF sewing pattern! The Roma Midi Skirt is to be the first of many and is a minimalist style featuring a rounded side slit and single pocket. I love her aesthetic so am looking forward to seeing more.
  • Another new company to pop up this month is Opian. Launching with three PDF patterns all available in English and French, the collection includes the Cemette Skirt, Pollux Top and Alvernia Dress.

New Patterns


  • The latest addition to the Megan Nielsen pattern collection is the Harper Shorts and Skort. I'm a particular fan of the close fitting shorts with those round patch pockets.
  • The two patterns released with this month's edition of Seamwork Magazine were the Elmira Cardigan, which is a cropped wrap ballet style design, and the Lynn Dress which is a button back tailored shift with a yoke.
  • Amongst Style Arc's new releases this month are the Jema Panel Dress, Cold Shoulder Knit Top, Amanda Stretch Short, Juno Slip Dress and Stevie Jean Jacket. I always find Style Arc so quick to pick up on current trends like the oversized denim look with the jacket and I've got a feeling I'm going to be purchasing that slip dress as soon as it's PDF format is released.
  • I wasn't sure whether to include this or not as technically it's a Big Four release rather than indie but who doesn't want a bit more pattern news?! Madalynne has released two lingerie patterns with Simplicity, one for a soft bralette and one for a more structured bra. Both patterns come with panties and I am looking forward to trying these out.
  • In a similar vein, Gertie's next two patterns in collaboration with Butterick have just been released. True retro style isn't really my thing for everyday wear but the little jacket is super cute!
  • Jennifer Lauren released the Gable Top. It's a 1950's inspired knit top with a slash neck. It looks particularly good in stripes in the samples!
  • The latest release from Itch to Stitch is the Belize Shorts & Skort pattern. You can create five different styles of short and skort with this one pattern and all feature an elasticated waist so no fastenings! 
  • Jenny from Seamingly Smitten launched a pattern for a women's off the shoulder top. I've been a big fan of this style all summer and love the lantern sleeves on this particular pattern.
  • New from Sew House Seven is the Nehalem Pant and Skirt pattern (PDF only). The design is based on Thai fisherman trousers with a kind of paper bag style wrap and tie waist. I love a bit of ikat so m particularly drawn to that sample!
  • Made by Rae released the Gemma Tank. It's a quick project with a shirt tail hem and options for a high or low neckline.
  • The Jumpy Shorts and Trousers are the latest release from Ready to Sew. The ideal beginner trouser pattern, they have a relaxed sarong style and tie at the front waist so super easy to fit.
  • Rachel from House of Pinheiro has revealed another pattern collaboration; this time in partnership with UpCraftClub. I love the clean lines of the Everyday Blouse which is made unique and interesting with gathering across the shoulders and sleeve darts.
  • The latest pattern from Tessuti is the Frankie Dress and Top. Designed for knits it features a flared hem and slim sleeve, with four sleeve length options and two dress lengths.
  • Christine Haynes released the Rumi Tank. It's a sporty racer back tank top and dress pattern which would be a great wardrobe staple. I've really enjoyed seeing the variety of them that have already been made up and blogged.
  • New from Sew This Pattern is the Birdie Bomber Jacket. I feel like I'm going to be wearing a lot of bombers this autumn and this one is nice and simple to make with dolman sleeves and ribbed collar, cuffs and hem.
  • Joost from Make My Pattern released the Aiden A-Shirt. It's his first pattern aimed more at beginners and is for a man's undershirt with a whopping 10 design options to make the vest your own.
  • Sew Caroline released the Magnolia Shorts. They are a relaxed, casual style that look a bit like mini length culottes with a wide elasticated waistband for comfort.
  • Just in time for the turn of season Deer & Doe released the Safran Pants. This one has been a big hit in my blog feed. They are a high waisted pair of skinny jeans/trousers and I love the shape of the front pockets.
  • Maven Patterns released the Kitty Dress. It features a centre front seam which the bust darts extend from, a peter pan collar and elbow darts on the longer sleeved variation which are probably my favourite part!
  • The latest release from Hot Patterns is the Bellissima Biker Jacket. It looks like a good project to get your teeth stuck into and could be made up in a whole variety of interesting fabrics.
  • Hot off the press and released just today we have the new Wrap Dress from The Maker's Atelier. It's designed for knits, can either be worn wrapped and tied or with a fixed crossover front and has a fashionably loose fit and long sleeves. 
  • And last but by no means least new from Wear Lemonade is the India Jumpsuit. Another killer design from them and I'm absolutely in love with the denim sample. Long sleeves, wrap front and rear patch pockets.


Pattern Updates and Expansion Packs



Sew-Alongs


  • There is a sew-along coming for the Tea House Top and Dress which was launched by Sew House Seven back in June. This has looked to be very popular on sewing blogs and I think it's about time I tried a design from their beautiful collection.
  • Christine Haynes has published a variety of hack ideas throughout the month for her last release, the Lottie Dress. My particular favourite was the chevron colour-blocked version.
  • The sew-along for By Hand London's new Charlie Dress has just begun over on their blog. There's still time to get your pattern and supplies together to follow along!
  • Jennifer Lauren will be posting a tutorial series to guide you through making her new Gable Top. As well as guidance on sewing it up, variations including a 3/4 length sleeve and elbow patches will be included.
  • Deer & Doe are running 'Safran September'. A whole month of blog posts dedicated to trouser and jeans making so you can make your ultimate pair from their new pattern!


Upcoming!


  • Charlotte Kan revealed that her next pattern will be the Elskan Dress and Top and it will have a batwing shape.
  • I'm pleased to see that Kristiann from Victory Patterns is in the process of testing her next pattern. I loved the Hannah Dress. She's also got a promotion running until 22nd September; buy one printed pattern and get the next half price! 
  • Pauline Alice has posted a couple of sneak peaks at a new pattern on Instagram. It looks like it might be jeans or trousers to me, possibly in a boyfriend fit. Can't wait to see!
  • Seamly Co. have a new pattern coming soon. It's called the Versalette and from what I can gather from Indie Sew Instagram sneak peaks it has a relaxed fit and drawstring neckline.
  • So Zo...will be releasing a maternity dress version of her Dolores Batwing Top pattern soon and is currently looking for testers.
  • The next By Hand London pattern is named the Alix Dress and looks like an on trend seventies style with lovely voluminous sleeves and no fastenings.
  • Colette Patterns have a new pattern set to be released on 6th September. They've given away very little yet except to say that it is a return to what makes Colette special.
  • And finally the Autumn/Winter 2016 Named collection is set to be released tomorrow! I'm always super stoked about this as I love their style and it's always such a treat to get a whole new collection at once. It's called Evolution Theory and includes nine patterns in total, two of which are 2-in-1 patterns.

Well that's another big list this month with a lot to look forward to in the next. As always if you know of any more news please feel free to pop it in the comments and I'll update the post whenever I can. I'll leave you with a little bit of indie sewing inspiration to get you fired up to finish your summer sewing or get stuck into an autumnal wardrobe!



  • Jasika kicked the month off with a bang with her stunning peach Bonnell Dress with circle skirt. She's really made the most of that gorgeous double sided fabric.
  • Katryna from Boots and Cats' Sway Dress is an absolute knock out. It's the perfect style to show off a big bold print like the beautiful one she's chosen.
  • Novita's Kielo Wrap Dress may well be my all time favourite version of that pattern. The print she has chosen is absolutely made for that pattern and the finished dress suits her down to the ground.
  • Lisa posted her Axel Skirt and Inari Tee over on the Tessuti blog and they are an awesome choice to pair together. I love the top in stripes and may have to steal that idea!
  • My jaw dropped when I saw Anne's satin version of the Delphi Dress. I never would have thought to use a satin for this pattern but it works SO well. She has sewn it beautifully too.
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSave

11 comments:

  1. Hi Fiona,
    Thanks for all the links, I love all the wonderful inspiration it gives. I totally agree with you one the Harper shorts, especially the pockets. They look awsome.
    ps. I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome Jannie! Thank you for your lovely comment
      I might have to give those Harper shorts a try...it's a shame summer is just ending here though!

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I am in denmark, so its the same here. Maybe lengthning and they will be just as beautiful as trousers.

      Delete
    3. I've just seen a post on Megan's blog about how to hack them into trousers today! Hoorah!

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for doing this! You make it so much easier for many of us :) I look forward to these posts from you....and your makes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! It's so lovely to hear that you enjoy reading! Got another project coming up this weekend

      Delete
  3. Super post, I love reading through and finding new patterns and seeing new to me pattern companies. There's so much I want to give a go, now we're heading into autumn I need to start thinking what patterns will work to either layer up or be cosy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynsey! I'm glad to hear you enjoy it. I really love the summer so never want it to end but the one good thing about it is planning a new homemade wardrobe at least!

      Delete
  4. Love this! So much fun to check out and lots I hadn't seen before. One that seems to be missing is Maria Denmark...she just released a new wrap dress that appears very well drafted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you Annie! There's always something I miss! I'll be sure to add that in now.
      Glad you have enjoyed the post

      Delete
    2. O I've just been over to look and I don't think it is a new one, it looks like she has been revising some of her old patterns in blog posts to show us the features

      Delete

I love hearing from readers of my blog so please feel free to leave a comment letting me know what you thought about this post/make! Any hints or tips to improve my sewing are always much appreciated too!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.